Is your kid really sick?
Your tween starts the morning with “Mom, I don’t feel good.” Is he legitimately sick or faking it? Ask yourself these five questions to spot a Ferris Bueller ploy:
1. Is there a test today? He could be bluffing to blow it off.
2. Do the symptoms make sense? A runny noise paired with stomach ache doesn’t add up.
3. Is he eating? A healthy appetite could be a faking-it red flag.
4. Is the headache here one minute and gone the next? Bogus symptoms tend to lack staying power.
5. How quick is the recovery? Be suspicious if 10 minutes later he’s in his room blasting music or playing PS3.